Oregano (Origanum vulgare) is a flowering, herbaceous plant that is perennial and indigenous to the Mediterranean and Central Asia. Greek oregano is perennial and herbaceous, and its quality is considered to be among the best all over the world.
Oregano or orī́ganon in ancient Greek derives from the Greek words óros (mountain) and gános (brightness) which means the brightness of the mountain since oregano is spread all over the Greek mountains.
It is one of the many members of the mint family and a species of Origanum. This species includes the Greek subspecies of the Greek soil vulgare, hirtum.
Oregano has a wide variety of beneficial qualities:
• It has antibacterial qualities
• It can be used as inflammatory to injuries.
• It could have qualities that prevent the appearance of cancer.
• It has potent anti-oxidant properties
• It boosts the immune system
• It increases the production of white blood cells
• It triggers the metabolism
• It quickens the recovery process
• It is good for the digestive system
• It is a natural source of omega-3 oils
• It regulates cholesterol levels
• It prevents heart attack
• It reduces the risk of stroke
• It regulates blood pressure
• It naturally detoxifies the body
• It contributes to a healthy liver
• It helps maintain healthy bones
• It prevents osteoporosis
• It naturally boosts energy levels
• It alleviates menopause symptoms
• It treats common cold
• It prevents anemia
• It alleviates sore throat
• It contributes to a healthy skin and shiny hair
VITANINES AND NUTRIENTS
Oregano is a rich source in natural fibers. It contains volatile oils, sterols, and flavonoids. It is rich in vitamins C, E, K, A, manganese, magnesium, calcium, zinc, potassium, niacin, phosphorus and b-carotene. It also contains lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthum, pinenium, limonene, acme, karyophellene and ursolic and rhammarine acid. Dry oregano contains 3-5% of essential oil and in some areas it could reach an amount of up to 7% in concentration, a phenomenon found in some areas of Greece only.
OREGANO & ANTIQUITY
Oregano is an ancient pharmaceutical plant which also has culinary uses. It has long been identified as a functional food as it has anti-oxidant qualities and it can also prevent many illnesses.
The ancient Greeks used oregano as a spice, a use which is still widespread up until today. They also used oregano as a cure against many diseases because their experience showed that its regular use helped in many cases of infections and illnesses.
Cosmo Green ABEE was founded in 2015 and is active in the field of production, standardization and distribution of aromatic plants, herbs and cereal bars, having as primary concern the quality of the raw materials it chooses.